LA Area Dog Bite Injury Attorney
If a dog viciously attacked you or a loved one in the LA area, Ehline Law Firm stands ready to assist in your recovery. Headed by former Marine, Michael Ehline, we have an A+ rating with the BBB, and are recipients of numerous awards. Our accolades include the Super Lawyers Rising Star prize.
Also, until the end, we fight for your rights. Our track record of hundreds of victories and millions of dollars recovered gives you confidence in our fight for your legal rights.
Vicious Canine Attacks Against Adults and Children.
These attacks could cause serious laceration injuries, especially 10 and under. Unfortunately, 77% of these injuries to small kids involve their heads and faces and could also lead to infections.
Dog attacks are common in the United States. Also, the damages are estimated to be over $2 billion dollars a year. At least 61% of these dog attacks happen in the owner’s own home, or immediate neighborhoods. It’s common that even familiar dogs will attack, especially if they are not considered a danger. Many don’t want to have to sue their friends and neighbors, or understand the law as it relates to dogs in general.
Also, severe injuries and medical bills need to get addressed. When faced with these issues and emotional scarring, insurance often covers much. However, sometimes this can fall short. Also, some people insurance companies refuse to pay what they should.
A hurt person will often remain shell-shocked. Also, they can be emotionally shattered, vulnerable, and even disfigured. Still, the law requires victims to be diligent in mitigating losses. In fact, this is how they protect injury claims in order to be indemnified. You need to prove your case. These tips can assist:
- Call a first responder – Even if it seems like this is not a major injury. An untreated bite can lead to rabies or serious infection, perhaps also leading to amputation. Even a claw scratch can have severe consequences. Seeing a doctor is vital, even in the emergency room.
- Determine who owns or controls the aberrant animal – Make sure the owner is on notice. So now you can assure the animal becomes secured or quarantined.
- Identify the liability insurance company providing potential coverage – This is crucial. As discussed, there may be more than one policy of insurance. In some cases, your own insurance may provide potential coverage for your wounds.
- Call the local Los Angeles City and County animal control agents, and police, and lodge a complaint – The County dog police, or city animal control officer, may wish to impound the animal to prevent future injuries and test it for mange, rabies, or other disease. They may even discover that the animal has attacked others, declare it a danger, and could have it destroyed.
- Preserve of Evidence – It is crucial to take photos of the attack location, holes in fences that the dog escaped through, names, addresses, and phone numbers of witnesses or anything else that proves your story and who controls the animal. This can include daily photos of your injury and slow recovery. Preserve your clothes and the blood, dirt, or other issues for the case.
Strict Liability in Dog Bite Cases.
Some states require that a dog to set upon another person at least once in the past. Otherwise a victims cannot sue in court. Not so in the Golden State. But there is no “one bite” rule here in California.
In the State of California, the legislature has determined that a dog owner is strictly liable when his or her dog bites another person in an animal attack. Also, few are available. Defenses are listed here.
So in the Golden State the dog does is not required be a known “danger.” Here, the owner remains liable for bodily and emotional harm. Also, few defenses apply.
In order to recover money, you must first prove:
- Victim was not a trespasser – But the victim must gotten hurt on publicly open property. And if injured on private property, the bad actor must not have had real or implied permission.
- Who owns or controls the dog.
- Victim suffered an injury, for which monetary compensation may be awarded.
- Lost Wages and Employment – Including time off work, provable loss of contract or job.
- Recovery of Hospital and Therapy Bills – Including future therapy, and past, present, and future medications for mental and physical pain.
- Past, Present and Future Pain and Suffering.
- Home Nursing Care.
- Loss of Consortium – Including love, affection, and other issues.
- Punitive Damages – In extraordinary circumstances a victim can punish the defendant. This is called punitive damages. But you get this only if you can prove the dog owner “sicked” his dog on you. Because that surely would qualify as an intentional act, the defendant must pay extra money. Also, this is compensation beyond the standard general damages award. In fact, this is the way you punish the perpetrator. This is also called “extraordinary damages.”
Ehline Law Firm consists of experienced, nose to the grindstone personal injury attorneys. And these lawyers don’t beat around the bush. We know all about California animal attack lawsuits and insurance claims. Also, our lawyers are straight shooters with a can do attitude.
As a matter of fact, we can help you determine the amount of your money damages claims. Beyond that, we can counsel you on how to avoid making frivolous demands. Plus, we will present you with a game-plan on how to achieve a low risk recovery with utmost haste.
As discussed, this may include damages for permanent injuries to your body or mind. Let us help you determine what insurance coverage there is for your potential case. You may have a case worth filing. Stealing victory from the jaws of defeat and achieving windfall victories is our goal.
If we cannot settle, we are willing to take the case all the way through and won’t be happy until you win a satisfying settlement or verdict at trial.
At Ehline Law Firm Personal Injury Attorneys, APLC, we will assist you in finding a doctor. In other words, we can help you get a physician to work on a lien if you cannot afford the best medical care for your small child. Also, we understand that a child injured by a dog bite wound need more than physical care. So we can help you locate a psychiatrist to help with the emotional difficulties of an attack by a dangerous animal.
Parents are also indirect victims of dog bites and other animal attacks, not just their bitten children. Call our legal guru and speak with an experienced, leading California dog bite attorney expert immediately. Don’t hesitate. Learn about our no win no fee promise, at (213) 596-9642.
- Dog bite statistics.
- We also offer free information on dog bite injury prevention.