Top Places to Get Inked
LA has always had an active tattoo community. It’s more than just getting inked; it’s a matter of thinking. Between military tattoos and a nascent counterculture, there’s a lot found in the City of Angels. We’re going to list some of the most famous tattoo parlors in the city.
Time Out Los Angeles has a list of some of the top parlors in the city. Famous doesn’t always mean best, but there’s often a correlation between the two. Furthermore, it’s a good shorthand.
The Top Shops
At the top of their list is the American Electric Tattoo Company, which is a traditionalist tattoo place on Sunset Boulevard. It’s a longtime favorite run by Brit and Craig Jackman. Craig has over 40 years of experience and is known for some of the highest quality tattoo designs in the business. Open seven days a week; it’s ready for you.
Next up is the Shamrock Social Club. Its owner Mark Mahoney’s been at it for 40 years and is one of the most popular artists in the greater Los Angeles area. He’s popular in Hollywood and considered one of the most talented tattooists in the area.
Next up is the Body Electric Tattoo Shop, celebrating 25 years in the business. It’s a top place to get both inked and pierced. It’s also a bit of an old-school shop with a major penchant for design work.
Probably the most famous of the shops is the High Voltage Tattoo shop. This parlor is featured on the popular TLC show LA Ink. The shop’s just a decade old, but definitely, one that tourists like to frequent. Also, headed by the famous tattoo artist Kat Von D, it’s a major staple for those that follow the television series.
Did we miss any great tat shops in LA? Have any recommendations for our readers? Send us an email with more info!
Driving Directions from American Electric Tattoo Company to Ehline Law Firm Personal Injury Attorneys, APLC in DTLA.
It takes 12 min (3.2 miles) via Sunset Blvd to arrive at American Electric Tattoo at 2518 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90026.
- Head southeast on Sunset Blvd toward N Coronado St 1.8 mi
- Use the right 2 lanes to turn right onto N Beaudry Ave 0.5 mi
- Turn left onto W 1st St 0.3 mi
- Continue straight to stay on W 1st St. 433 ft
- Then turn right onto S Grand Ave 0.5 mi
- Turn right onto W 5th St and your destination will be on the right side at 282 ft
Driving Directions from Shamrock Social Club to Ehline Law Firm Personal Injury Attorneys, APLC in DTLA.
The normal drive time is 36 min (9.8 miles) via Santa Monica Blvd and US-101 S. Typically, there is heavy traffic, but this is the scenic route from Shamrock Social Club 9026 Sunset Blvd, West Hollywood, CA 90069.
- Take Holloway Dr to Santa Monica Blvd 4 min (0.8 mi)
- Continue on Santa Monica Blvd.
- Drive from US-101 S/Hollywood Fwy to Los Angeles.
- Take the Interstate 110 S exit from CA-110 29 min (8.5 mi)
- Continue on W 4th St.
- Take S Hope St to W 5th St 3 min (0.5 mi) and arrive at your destination.
Driving Directions from Body Electric Tattoo Shop to Ehline Law Firm Personal Injury Attorneys, APLC in DTLA.
The typical commute takes 24 min (7.0 miles) via W 3rd St, which typically avoids slowdowns on US-101 S from Body Electric Tattoo & Piercing, 7274 Melrose Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90046.
- Head east on Melrose Ave toward N Alta Vista Blvd 0.6 mi
- Turn right onto N Highland Ave 0.9 mi
- Turn left onto W 2nd St 443 ft
- Turn right at the 1st cross street onto S McCadden Pl 0.1 mi
- Turn left at the 1st cross street onto W 3rd St 4.7 mi
- Continue onto W 4th St 0.1 mi
- Use the middle lane to stay on W 4th St 0.2 mi
- Turn right toward W 4th St (signs for Hope St) 354 ft
- Slight left onto W 4th St 174 ft
- Turn right onto S Hope St 0.1 mi
- Use the right lane to turn right onto S Grand Ave 315 ft
- Turn right at the 1st cross street onto W 5th St
- Destination will be on the right 282 ft
Driving Directions from High Voltage Tattoo shop to Ehline Law Firm Personal Injury Attorneys, APLC in DTLA.
The normal transit times takes 27 min (7.5 miles) via Santa Monica Blvd to High Voltage Tattoo Nc at 1259 N La Brea Ave, West Hollywood, CA 90038.
- Follow N La Brea Ave to Santa Monica Blvd in West Hollywood 1 min (0.2 mi)
- Follow Santa Monica Blvd and US-101 S/Hollywood Fwy to Silver Lake Blvd in Los Angeles.
- Take exit 5B from US-101 S/Hollywood Fwy 15 min (3.9 mi)
- Take W Temple St, Beverly Blvd, W 1st St and S Grand Ave to W 5th St 12 min (3.4 mi)
Related article. LA Grafitti.