Common Household Injuries & Avoidance 101 – Who Can I Sue?
Every year thousands of people nationwide suffer injuries in their own home in accidents that may have been preventable. The types of mishaps that can happen at home are wide ranging. So for example, they include slips and falls, burns and even faulty gas lines explosions. Because these accidents can vary, so can the harm that’s sustained. And it ranges from minor to very severe depending on the type of mishap.
Mishaps that occur at home are not always the injured person’s fault. In fact, many times there is someone else at fault. This is due to being a consumer of home products. Also, it is common to buy all kinds of home products.
So for example, food, drinks, furniture or electrical appliances are common supplies that carry certain potential risks. In some cases, the home has had products installed and/or maintained by pros such as home designers.
When mishaps happen at home because of another party’s negligence, the injured person is able to seek a financial award for the damages. It is to your benefit to speak with a reputable personal injury attorney as soon as possible when hurt.
Common Household Mishap Conditions.
There are some common types of issues that can cause accidents at home from the negligence by another party. And they include:
- Improperly Installed Electrical Wiring: Sometimes electrical wiring is improperly installed. So it may cause a serious electric shock and can be a fire hazard. If this is the case, often the party or electrician that installed the wiring may become held liable for negligence.
- Defective Appliances: Defective home appliances result in many home injuries every year. In many cases, these are electrical appliances that cause electric shock hazard, burns or fire. The most common of these appliances are for the kitchen, space heaters, battery packs, televisions and even laptop computers.
- Improper Flooring Installation: Improperly installed floors can cause slip, trip and fall mishaps. That can result in serious harm. The floor issues can include torn carpet, holes or cracks in flooring and uneven floor boards. Along with unreasonably slippery flooring. Liable parties include the installer and contractor who did the flooring.
- Defective Manufacture or Design of Home Furnishings: People do not think their home furnishings can be harmful. But defective furniture, whether it happens during the design or manufacturing process, can be high risk for harm. This may be furniture that breaks or has become unstable. And this can cause the occupant to fall when used as what its made to use it for.
What are Some Other Types of Injuries that Occur in the Home?
There are many types of injuries that can occur in the home due to negligence with some being less serious than others. They include:
- Soft tissue injuries.
- Chemical burns.
- Broken bones.
- Crush injuries.
- Accidental amputation.
- Neurological injuries.
- Traumatic brain injuries.
- Spinal cord injuries.
- Internal injury.
As noted above, there are many ways to become harmed in your own home or the home of another. This is true even when using products as made to use. That they can still cause extremely serious harm. In the event a mishap does occur, speak with a products liability injury attorney who can evaluate your claim. They will determine if you have a case with the best way to pursue your claim.
Should I Consult the Experienced, Top Notch Los Angeles Ehline Law Firm Personal Injury Attorneys, APLC?
Yes, you should always speak to a lawyer when injured at home. After all, we all feel safe in our homes. But mishaps can happen anywhere we live. Many of these types of mishaps could become prevented if negligence was not a factor in the accident. So when a person is harmed, they may be legally entitled to obtain a settlement for the damages.
For example, now victims can pay back medical bills, other costs. Also, they can get paid back for pain and suffering. Depending on the severity of the harm, the financial award may include ongoing medical treatment, physical therapy, loss of wages or loss of future income.
So the people you can sue include product makers, contractors and anyone else who caused or created the situation that harmed you. And the Southern California, L. A. based Ehline Law Firm is composed of top-notch personal injury lawyers. And they can be reached toll-free at (888) 400-9721 to schedule a free consultation. If you are in a rush, use the handy email form on our website and we can communicate through electronic means. These lawyers can help you locate and sue the people who harmed you!
“Finally, a Super Bowl Ad That Told the Truth” – Mother Jones
“Home Accidents” – New England Journal of Medicine