Smoke and Heat Inhalation Lawyers
Burn injury accidents that occur in the home or the workplace can include smoke. So they include things such as second-hand smoke and heat inhalation. This is a dangerous part of burn injuries. Because it is the inhalation of the toxic and harmful gasses during the burn that lingers. Also, a survey done in 1997 by the National Fire Protection Association showed 4,675 firefighters suffered burns. And during their duties, 3,770 firefighters suffered smoke inhalation.
Table of Contents:
Smoke Inhalation Hot Spots.
Smoke inhalation is an injury sufferable by anyone in the proximity of fire-related smoke. Also, this is true no matter how old or how young. And individual trades and industries are hot spots for inhaling smoke and fumes, including:
- Plant Manufacturing Facilities
- Construction Sites
- Industrial Facilities
- Oil Refineries
- Service Related Trades
Structure and Defective Product Fires.
The building, house and water heater fire does not only kill people. So along with gas explosions, and electrical fires, these can cause smoke inhalation injuries. Of note, smoke inhalation victims often suffer severe skin burns in accidents that produce fire. Also, smoke inhalation can cause severe health damage to the victim. And is not always detected quickly.
When severe smoke inhalation goes undetected or untreated, it can have serious health effects. And the most vulnerable groups to smoke inhalation are workers where this is a danger. Next, it’s children under the age of 11 and adults over the age of 70.
The Three Types of Inhalation Injuries.
Inhalation injuries can occur in three different types. And more than one hundred known toxic substances can be in smoke from fires. Suffering smoke inhalation is dangerous and can be deadly.
Inhalation victims can suffer:
- Toxic Burn Injuries: This is when the burn injury victim is unable to absorb oxygen. Smoke and fire can make over one hundred toxins. Also, it can be an effect of carbon monoxide, which is one of the toxic substances. Carbon monoxide poisoning has symptoms that can include tiredness and coma. And it can result in death with no outward signs. Thus, it is not unusual for people in enclosed areas to suffering inhalation to be unconscious. Also, toxins contained in the smoke can get breathed in. Furthermore, they can cause permanent damage to the organs and brain.
- Smoke Inhalation: This is the breathing of smoke and the toxins contained in smoke. Often it has no outward symptoms. Immediate medical treatment after burn injuries will often not include treatment for smoke inhalation. And this is critical. The victim that has been in an enclosed area with smoke can collapse and risk of fatal injuries. Burn injury patient fatalities increase between 60 and 80 percent after heat inhalation.
- Heat Inhalation: Hot air and flame sources are the cause. Heat and chemicals enter the nose and airways. Damage can be to the mucous membranes and the upper airways. And this is from exposure to the hot air and smoke. In many cases, this will be where the damage is. But this is unless there is hot air directly breathed in from the flame. But this is a high-pressure heat inhalation. And that is then forced into the lungs. Noteworthy here, the trachea in other instances will stop the hot air from traveling to the lungs. But this helps prevent thermal injuries from occurring in the lungs.
Symptoms are Not Always Automatic.
The signs of smoke inhalation may not appear for between 2 and 8 hours after exposure to smoke. Being in an enclosed area filled with smoke is a way to suffer smoke inhalation. Hence, even when there are not burns the lungs can get damaged.
Symptoms or signs of smoke inhalation will include:
- The possibility of respiratory distress
- Possibility of fainting
- A possible upper airway obstruction
- Eyebrows, eyelashes, and singed nasal hairs are indicators
- Soot around the nose and mouth
- Burns around the neck and face
Heat inhalation often happens in an enclosed area filled with chemical smoke. And symptoms occur between 2 and 48 hours after the exposure to the toxins in the smoke.
Treatment for heat inhalation of the victim starts with moving them away from the area. So first get them to fresh air and providing oxygen. Mostly incubation is the treatment course. But this is only when there are early symptoms of upper airway obstruction. Of particular concern, between 6 and 24 hours, is when upper airway edema can be present. And it is the earliest sign of damage from breathing hot air from smoke and fire.
Suffering smoke inhalation caused by negligence is actionable. So this could be employers, defective products, or faulty equipment. But it could also be from another source of negligent actions. And you may recover compensation. Did your family lose a loved one from negligent actions? Also, is your breadwinner out of commission? Now you can hold the negligent party responsible for getting an attorney.
Ensure Justice By Consulting a Legal Expert.
Our burn injury lawyers have the experience and resources. And this is what is necessary to provide quality legal representation. Thus, you can protect your rights. Most of all, you can recover the compensation you deserve. But it is vital to consult a burn injury attorney immediately.
Call a Fire and Smoke Inhalation Attorney Now.
Because the law limits the time you have to file a claim, you must act quickly. Contact the Ehline Law Firm’s burn injury lawyers as soon as possible. Don’t hesitate. Discuss your case and hold the negligent party responsible toll-free at (888) 400-9721.